December 6, 2010
Officers: Gay, Payne, Brady, Jones
Voting Members - Ex-officio: DiBrezzo, Fleming, Johannesen, Black, Battjes
Administrative Representatives: Pugh
Faculty Senators: Gay, Savin, Turner, Comfort, Fort, Riggs, Rhoads
Staff Senators: Vaught, Frye, Payne, Martin, Donnelly, Bixby, Mounce, Rowe, Parker
Student Senators: Spencer, Mattiza, Baxter, Brumfield, Treece, Fitzgerald, Dodd, Hodges, Norton, Pohlner, Ensley
Non-Voting Members, Ex-officio: Gaber
Voting Members - Ex-officio: Freund
Administrative Representatives: Vayda, Shannon, Schwab, Worrell, P. Rankin, Smith, Saxena, Shields, Nance, McMath, Henderson Allen
Faculty Senators: Stegman, Jensen, Parry, Smith-Nix, Brummer, Kirkwood, Salisbury, Wall, Whayne
Staff Senators: Blagg, Hart, Golden, Carter, Owens, Foshe, Gilbride
Student Senators: Wright, Mullendore, Jackson, Ferreira
Non-Voting Members, Ex-officio: Gearhart, Pederson, Choate, Hudson
I. Call to order
The meeting was called to order at 3:30 by the Chair, David Gay.
II. Approval of Agenda
The agenda was approved.
III. Minutes of the Spring 2010 meeting.
The minutes were approved.
IV. Reports of Activity
a. Report of the Faculty Senate, Ro DiBrezzo
- Fulbright Curriculum Changes have now been approved;
- Course Evaluation changes are in the works; up for consideration at this week's Faculty Senate meeting;
- Academic Integrity changes also in the works; up for consideration at this week's Faculty Senate meeting;
- Faculty Forums very successful this semester;
- Good rapport with Staff Senate and ASG greatly appreciated.
- Additional Report Items
b. Report of the Staff Senate, Angela Black
- 12th Annual Staff Picnic a great success in May;
- Next Staff Picnic, May 19th;
- Hosted another legislative panel discussion; Sue Madison was one of the panelists; Faculty and Staff members participated in the discussions;
- Passed a Resolution honoring Housing;
- Staff Senate Scholarships - 8 given out this year;
- Barbara G. Taylor scholarships awarded to three staff members (funds donated by Dr. Taylor for an award she received; placed into an endowment fund for future scholarships);
- Also grateful for relationships with Faculty Senate and ASG.
c. Report of the ASG/Student Senate, Billy Fleming
- Working to reduce restructure reliance on student fees;
- There is a potential donor for the safe-ride program; hope to learn more in February/March;
- ASG Presidents Council Meeting to take place sometime in March/April. Former Presidents of ASG will be members, pay dues, and offer money as scholarships;
- Excited by the Sustainability curriculum developing on campus;
- Taking part in lobbying trips to discuss higher education issues with legislation.
d. Report of the Chair of Campus Council, David Gay
- Campus Council Chair, David Gay, thanked members of the Council for their cooperation and assistance during the year, including Michelle Payne, Vice Chair, and Linda Jones, Secretary.
- Several notable faculty achievements included the induction of six faculty members into the UA Teaching Academy on December 6. The new inductees reflected the active teaching and learning effectiveness of the inductees who have been recognized by major teaching awards:
- Dub Ashton, Department of Marketing and Logistics
- Ed Clausen, Department of Chemical Engineering
- Andrew McKenzie, Department of Agricultural Economics and Agri Business
- Carol Reeves, Department of Management
- Gay Stewart, Department of Physics
- Daniel Sutherland, Department of History
- The Campus Council Chair reviewed a history of the Campus Council and noted that committees are committees of the campus faculty as directed by the Campus Governance. The committees connected with the Campus Council reflect their current assignment by the Faculty Senate. Faculty, staff and student members are appointed by those with the authority to make such appointments from their respective groups.
V. Summary of Campus Council Committee Reports
VI. Old Business
VII. New Business
a. Election of Officers
i. Campus Council Chair - Michele Payne
ii. Campus Council Vice-Chair - Michael Dodd
b. Members of the Steering Committee
i. 2 staff - Jeremy Battjes, Lisa Frye
ii. 2 students - J.R. Baxter, Xavier Ensley
iii. 2 faculty - TBD -
A motion was passed to allow the Faculty Senate to identify two members of the Senate to serve in this capacity. Motion passed.
Meeting adjourned by 5 p.m.